Do you want to bring your pet along with you when you travel?
Here, you´ll find all the information to better plan your trip, from transport rules to rates to animals not permitted to travel.
Please note: animal transport may be restricted or limited on some aircraft types or for certain destinations.
Also, please contact our advisors as soon as possible before your trip.
In the hold
A dog or cat weighing more than 6 kg / 13.2 lb (up to a maximum weight of 75 kg / 165.3 lb) must be transported in the hold. Transporting animals in the hold is limited to 3 animals maximum per passenger. Please note this number may be restricted, depending on the aircraft type.
In addition, please let us know when booking your ticket that you intend to transport your pet in the hold.
- Your pet must be at least 15 weeks* old and have all required vaccines.
- You must respect the conditions of transport indicated in the “Conditions for transporting a dog or cat in the hold” : size of the travel container, materials, locking mechanism, etc. On Air France flights, only hard plastic or fiberglass travel containers fastened by bolts and approved by the IATA (International Air Transport Association) are accepted. In the event of non-compliance with instructions provided in this document, your pet will be denied boarding.
- You must print and present the form “Conditions for transporting a dog or cat in the hold” at the airport.
- Please arrive at the check-in counter: 3 hours before an intercontinental flight, or 2 hours before a flight within France or Europe (including between Europe and North Africa or Israel).
- In case of connecting flights: please ensure that you have more than 2 hours between flights. You may only check in your pet for the first part of your trip. Between connecting flights, you must have enough time to collect your baggage and pet, and check them in again for the second flight.
- During your flight: the captain will be informed that your pet is in the hold and will take the necessary steps to ensure its comfort during the flight (lighting, heating).
Please note: snub-nosed animals such as Bulldogs, Boxers, Pekinese or Persian cats can suffer from breathing difficulties in high-stress situations. Please consult your veterinarian before air travel.
Please contact our telephone sales team with any additional questions or concerns.
* Eight weeks for flights in metropolitan France.
In the cabin
With prior approval from the telephone sales department , you may transport in the cabin:
- dogs and cats weighing less than 6 kg / 13.2 lb (including the transport bag or container).
- Guide dogs are authorized regardless of their weight.
For other flights, our telephone sales department will inform you of the regulations.
Your pet must travel in a separate closed container.
- The container must be sufficiently ventilated and enable your animal to stand up and turn around.
- In the Economy cabin, the bag must fit in the space under the seat in front of you.
- Under no circumstances should your pet leave its container during the flight.
- Each animal must travel in a separate travel container.
- Each passenger can travel with only 1 animal.
- Your pet´s travel container is considered an additional baggage item and will incur a fee.
- the animal and its container weigh more than 75 kg / 165 lb,
- it is traveling to a country which does not authorize animal transport by freight.
Purchased items are available for delivery to the following countries: Algeria, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, metropolitan France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Morocco, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Tunisia, United Kingdom, United States.
In addition, Flying Blue members earn Miles with each purchase or can choose to pay with already accumulated Miles.
- Your animal must have all required vaccines in order to be permitted on board.
- All dogs and cats traveling within the European Union must be identified by an electronic chip. It should also possess a European passport. Provided and completed by an authorized veterinarian, the passport identifies your pet and certifies that it is properly vaccinated.
- Please note: For travel to Ireland, Sweden, the UK or Malta, additional sanitary conditions apply. We recommend that you check with the embassy of your destination country.
- For travel outside the European Union, consider the regulations enforced in the originating and destination countries (vaccinations, quarantine, etc.).